TGIF (I am practically dancing and you know why? I am going to get a whole lot of rest)
Hi guys, how are you all doing? if you missed my last post check here
Me I am just trying to be fine because these past few days have been extremely crazy for me!
The stress recently is like the one sent from hell to torment my enemy, lol.
Anyways, I am bouncing out of it with the help of studies and advise from friends.
Anyone living in Lagos and is not working from his/her room knows that the struggle is real!
Yes, stress is unavoidable (at least for some part of Nigeria) but the effect of stress on you and I can be avoided or reduced.
Stress can be beneficial by helping people develop the skills they need to cope with and adapt to new and potentially threatening situations in life.
Even though stress is beneficial ,the beneficial aspects of stress is going to be less effective when it is severe enough to overwhelm a person’s ability to take care of themselves and family.
WHAT IS STRESS EXACTLY?
According to the dictionary (Google) it’s a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or demanding circumstances.
We all react to stressful situations differently, personally when I am stressed: I get angry, I become so irritable, I feel like quitting, I find it difficult making decisions too.
While some other people react by: Feeling sad, frustrated, and helpless, feeling guilty, disappointed, loss of appetite, poor sleep, alcohol consumption, smoking and some people even cry.
But we all can cope with stress as long as we identify the cause(s) of our stress and we know what works for us.
Few tips that I just employed recently and they are working are:
- I take care of myself (if you don’t take care of yourself, who will?) by eating healthy, well-balanced meals, exercise on a regular basis, I get plenty of sleep especially during my weekend, I give myself a break whenever I feel stressed out
- Recognize your own relaxation activities: I like to just lie down, plug my ear piece and listen to good music or watching my favorite soap opera on zee world (lol)
- Talk to others: Share your problems and how you are feeling and coping with a parent, friend, counselor, health practitioners, or any spiritual leader/mentor.
I had to do this, I just pasted it on my IG that I need help when I was so stressed and I felt like giving up and people responded by giving me tips.
- Avoid drugs and alcohol. Drugs and alcohol may seem to help with the stress. In the long run, they create additional problems and increase the stress you are already feeling.
I don’t drink alcohol or smoke but sometimes I just take carbonated drinks because I wouldn’t want to cook or eat proper food.
- Learn to say no when necessary, not all request or invitation should be honored. You don’t have to attend every event please, whether it is celebration or seminar or conference that is not really necessary, save your strength to execute the things you have learnt so far.
- Manage your time well, if possible write down your schedule and apportion time where and when necessary. Prioritize, seek help when necessary because the truth is, we cannot do it all alone. If you are a leader, delegate duty to people who can do it. Avoid multi-tasking if not necessary .
Take a break when you are ill, don’t wait till you break down. After all, you can’t function maximally/effectively when you are ill and your employer knows that too.
I wish this piece truly help someone, if you find it helpful , kindly share with friends and family.
By now you should know that I truly love you all and I care so much.