Have you ever eaten to stupor on some occasions like I have? ….. Let’s cover our faces in shame. lol
Here, I would be discussing indigestion!
Indigestion is a feeling of fullness and a feeling of discomfort around the upper part of the abdomen. Sometimes, the symptoms of indigestion are peculiar to individuals: some may feel full with a few spoons of food, others may feel a burning sensation around the upper abdomen/chest, nausea, belching and sometimes vomiting.
Indigestion is a very common symptom that we all at one point have experienced or may still experience. Indigestion in itself is not a disease; it is only a sign that something is wrong in the digestive system.
Indigestion can occur as a result of any of the following:
- Over eating or eating too fast
- Spicy or extremely oily food
- Excessive intake of caffeine drink, alcohol or carbonated beverages
- Medications such as Antibiotics, blood tonic/supplements, and some pain killers
While the above are man made reasons for indigestion, it could be as a result of a more dangerous systemic condition such as:
- Inflammation/irritation of the stomach lining
- Peptic/stomach ulcer
- Gall stones
- Irritation of the pancreas
- Intestinal obstruction
- Thyroid disease
- Reduced blood flow to the intestines
In cases where indigestion is caused by any of the above latter underlining conditions, there is no need to do home remedies. Just go to your healthcare facility for proper evaluation.
You may want to ask, how you will know if it is not caused by manmade reasons? When you notice any of the below symptoms:
- When you have trouble swallowing
- When you are passing black tarry stool
- When you are losing weight/gaining weight unintentionally
- When you are vomiting excessively or vomit is accompanied by blood
- When you sweat excessively
- When you are feeling tired/weak
- When you have chest pain on mild exercise/exertion
- When you have unexplained neck/jaw/arm pain
In the absence of any of the secondary signs/symptoms mentioned above, we can say indigestion is not harmful and can be resolve on its own when you make some lifestyle changes or treat with natural remedies.
Home remedies for treating indigestion include:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a cup of water, add 1 teaspoon of honey and drink up to 3 times a day (is there anything honey cannot do? Lol). Apple cidar has alkalizing effect that aids digestion.
- Baking soda is another antacid that aids digestion. Add half teaspoon of baking soda into half a glass of water and drink.
- Ginger!!! It helps in the secretion of digestive juices and the flow of enzymes that help you digest your food. So, if your indigestion is as a result of overeating, ginger is the best you can use!
- Mix two teaspoons of ginger juice and one teaspoon of honey to a cup of warm water and drink it.
- Get ginger tea, add boiling water to it and drink it warm.
- In a cup of water, add 2 teaspoons of ginger juice with 1 teaspoon of natural lemon juice add pinch of salt and drink the mixture as tolerated. Lemon has alkalizing effect that aids digestion.
- You can add ginger as a spice during the making of your meals to prevent indigestion.
- Lastly, if you are bloated… lick peppermint or anything that has menthol in it! I use this most of the time. It may make you belch or fart often but it will relieve you of bloated tummy/indigestion!
If after trying any of the above, you are not relieved and you are becoming so uncomfortable, with no appetite for food and vomiting , kindly visit a healthcare facility!
I am very sure these methods work and I will look forward to you trying any of it out in case of indigestion in future. Let me know if you have tried any of the above remedies and most importantly if it worked for you. If it did, Kindly drop your comment. if you have also tried something else, I’ll be glad to know , kindly drop it in the comment box as well.
Feel free to share with friends.