Natural/home remedies for treating cough
Hey friends, how have you been? I have been pretty good here!
I started a series about natural/home remedies for few common medical conditions and we kicked off with natural remedies for treating stomach ulcers, and Home Remedies for treating Diarrhea in case you missed it kindly check it and tell a friend
I am sure you must have one point or another had to deal with cough. Don’t you think it would be easing to discover a treatment for your cough that has nothing to do with the pharmacy or buying drugs? Keep reading…
You may have wondered what a cough is really. Well a coughs is one of the natural way to clear your throat and it could also be a sign of infection. Whichever, a cough lasting more than two weeks should be reported to a doctor for evaluation and diagnosis.
So, here are the home/natural remedies for cough;
- Mix 2 teaspoons of honey with warm water and Drink the mixture 2-3 times daily. Honey provides a soothing relief while lemon and warm water helps to decongest your chest.
- Eat/drink pineapple (you can make it into a smoothie) and take up to 104mls about 2-3 times daily. It helps to decongest the chest by smothering the mucus in the throat. It also helps to suppress cough and can also help to relief sinusitis (blocked nostrils) because it contains an enzyme called bromelain which is a cough suppressant. Although this should be taken with caution when you are on antibiotics or better still, talk to your healthcare professionals.
- Peppermint leaves or anything that contains menthol such as TomTom can be used by making a peppermint drink/tea or licking “TomTom”. You can also add it to warm water and drink it as you can tolerate.
- You can also inhale menthol or peppermint by adding ointment or fluids containing menthol to warm water in a bowl, drape a towel over your head and intake the steam. A good example of a fluid containing menthol is silver bird.
- Mix ¼ – ½ teaspoon of salt with 235 mls of warm water and gargle it! It can help to ease itchy throat hence, relieves you of cough.
- Crush your thyme leaves( yes, the same thyme we use in cooking), 2 teaspoons of the crushed thyme leaves and add 1 cup of boiling water. Cover the mixture and allow it for 10 minutes, strain it and drink it warm
- Drink plenty fluids to stay hydrated and wash your hand frequently!
If cough persist after 2 weeks, please talk to your caregiver!
I heard the home remedies are more than I listed, kindly give me any other one(s) you know and I didn’t mention here. I look forward to your contributions. Kindly like and share the post with a friend if you found it helpful!